Human bodies are built to be in motion.
But in today’s workplace, most of us sit more than 9 hours a day—at our desks, in meetings and on our commutes. Prolonged sitting harms us physically, mentally and emotionally. And the kicker: it hurts our productivity, too. Two-thirds of employees feel disengaged, dispirited and fatigued at work, and sedentary behavior is a leading cause.
And when you factor in the time we are prostrate when we sleep, this amounts to over 70% of our day either sitting or lying down!
In short, if you sit at the office:
- Get up and stretch/walk around every hour for 10 minutes.
- Invest in a standing desk (we have many affordable models).
- Invest in a treadmill desk (we carry many different models).
- In general, be aware of your sitting. This alone will help you be more active.
As always, make sure to eat your vegetables and get plenty of rest! 🙂
Tom is a veteran of the fitness industry, with a professional career spanning all facets of the industry over the past 25 years. An overview of Tom’s experiences include:
1. Health Club Owner – Owned and Operated for 11 years.
2. Manufacturing – Senior Sales & Marketing Manager at Life Fitness (the largest fitness manufacturer in the world) for 5 years.
3. Equipment Dealer & Service Provider – Owner and President (current) at US Fitness Products – the oldest and largest fitness dealership in the state of North Carolina (established 1991).
My mantra is simple: “prior experience is paramount to future success”